Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

roasted shrimp over sauteed cabbage (paleo and gluten free recipe)...

We are in the thick of summer here.  We are having hot and humid days and the only good place to be is in the pool.  However, this week we have had to remain close to home because Grace has been sick since Sunday.  We had a super busy weekend full of graduation parties, play off football games and picnics.  Somewhere between church, a football game in the hot sun and a graduation party, Grace spiked a fever of 102.  She may also have a sore throat but being non-verbal and non-communicative, it's pretty hard to tell. 

So needless to say, this week has not gone as planned for our family.  The boys are being good sports about having to stick close to home but there has been a lot of down time for them.  We have continued with our daily worksheets from the summer bridge activities workbooks and daily reading program.  Basically, I'm paying them in ice cream to read books this summer.  It's not what I thought I'd be doing as a parent but it's what is working to motivate my boys who don't love to read. 

Thankfully, Grace's fever was gone when she woke up today.  So she'll be going to school tomorrow, she only has 1 and 1/2 days left before summer vacation.  That means the boys and I can hit the pool!  Yay!

Like everyone else, when the temps climb the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  But I still want healthy, delicious food.  So, one meal I have been turning to for years (even before my recent bent toward gluten free / paleo-ish eating) is roasted shrimp over sauteed cabbage. 

 
It's so good. 
It's so easy. 
It only uses 3 ingredients, plus oil and spices.
And best of all only takes 10-12 minutes to prepare. 


Roasted Shrimp with Sauteed Cabbage

Ingredients:
1 head of organic green cabbage
1 pound of shrimp (I buy the easy peel fresh shrimp or high quality frozen)
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Peel and devein shrimp, if necessary.  Wash and pat dry. 
3. Place shrimp on baking sheet, coat with oil (I use avocado oil), sea salt and pepper. Put in oven for 8-10 minutes.  Until the shrimp is a nice pink color.  Roasting them like this give the shrimp a nice carmelized flavor, plus it's Ina's recipe so it has to be good...
4. While the shrimp is in the oven; quarter the cabbage, remove the stem part and cut into thin strips.  I'm sure you could use your food processor to shred the cabbage but I find it just as easy to do by hand.
5. Heat avocado oil in pan over medium heat.  Add the garlic to the oil, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly to avoid burning it.
6. Add cabbage to pan.  Season with sea salt, fresh ground pepper and red pepper flakes (to taste).
7. Continue to stir the cabbage until it is all coated with oil and spices.  I cook mine for about 10 minutes.  I like it softened but still with a bit of a crunch.  Taste it at this point and add more spices if necessary.
8. Put sauteed cabbage on plate and arrange roasted shrimp on top.


I love how easy and simple this meal is!  I never have left overs, but I'm sure they would be great heated up the next day for a fast lunch.  Enjoy...

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I found this recipe by googling "shrimp" and "cabbage" because that's all I have in my fridge :) So happy to have found your blog and looking forward to trying this out tonight.