Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

practically speaking...

I'm not really sure what happened to last week.  Well, actually I know exactly what happened.  It's called life.  And it's called the busyness of the holidays.  With a few sick kids thrown in there for good measure.

We have finally finished decorating our house for Christmas.  The outside lights twinkle in the dark and sometimes the light, since little and big boys love to see them shine.  Although, it has been too cold and windy for me to venture out there and take any pictures.

I had grand plans this year to do a december daily activity around Christmas.  An advent count down with fun stuff that we would do every day as a family.  But realized that that was WAY too much pressure for me in my slightly unorganized state these days.  So I'm putting that back in my idea folder for next year and may do it then.  Or not...

This time of year there is always a little sadness hiding in the back of my heart and mind.  It plays hide and seek with the joy and anticipation that reside there these days.  It comes out when I realize I am not buying my soon to be 4 year old daughter age appropriate toys but rather clothes since she doesn't play with dolls or makeup or dress up clothes.  A lot sadness comes out when I talk to my sister on the anniversary of when she lost her precious twin daughters.  And even the joy of holding the most perfect gift of their little brother doesn't ease the pain for her or her husband.

But then the most unexpected happens, just when your heart is weighted down and you feel more sadness than joy.  When you realize that you are yelling at your boys for being boys because their sister doesn't act her age and may not ever.  God gives you a gift, a treat really in the most unexpected way.







The gift of a voice.  Basically unheard until this point.  She speaks.  Just one word but it is a start and it is in response to a command or request.  On a cold December morning you put your precious daughter on the van for school with a heavy heart and say 'say bye-bye to mommy' as you do every day.   But this day, she looks you in the eye and says 'bye-bye'.  Oh the sweet sound!




And then, looking really proud of herself, she does it again.  So even though I'm pretty sure God has heard my begging and whining prayerful request that Grace's first words would be 'Mom, I love you'.  They are 'bye-bye', followed by blowing kisses!  Practically speaking, I'll take it...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah - you brought me to tears. What a glorious Christmas present. What will she say next?? Love to you and your family for a peaceful holiday season and hugs and kisses to Grace.

Donna said...

Wow!!! Tears and goosebumps! I so heart that looked proud of herself and said it again for good measure! Precious!

Sorry the holidays have been a little rough, and I am soooo proud of you for putting away the "extras" and as you can see - the moments will come.

Hears wishing you and yours many, many more moments this season!

nora said...

Oh Anne! What a gift and what pain. I'm so sorry the holidays are hard. I can only imagine. Go easy on you - you are doing so much!

Anna said...

Anne that is so precious and I've got tears in my eyes! Such wonderful news in amongst the pain. Hoping the next few weeks go ok for you and your family.
Take care and God Bless,
Anna

Gardenia said...

I;'d take it too! that's wonderful! did your heart just burst? :)

Unknown said...

Praise God for His wonderous works and blessings! Anne - I'm so sorry I got so behind on reading your blog and didn't read this until now. WHAT A GIFT!! I am rejoicing with you!