Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day of School {Part 1}

And so it started...

Today was the first day of school for our kids.  John started 1st grade, he will go full day from 8:00 - 3:45 and Luke started Pre- Kindergarten, he will go MWF 8:30 - 11:30.  Grace will start her preschool program tomorrow and she goes Monday through Thursday from 8:00 - 2:30.  In other words, this mama is not on summer vacation anymore...

Mark was home this morning to help get John and Luke off to school and take part in some pictures.  John did great this morning.  Except for the fact that he decided today was the day he would have an opinion on the shirt he was wearing and instead of wearing the shirt I picked out he chose an ironman shirt.  I was somewhat disappointed that he wore a t-shirt instead of his orange and white stripped polo shirt to school today, but I guess if that is the extent of my issues with him I'll be a happy momma.  John rides the bus with a lot of kids from the neighborhood and the girl across the street is in his class, so I was confident that he would find his way to his classroom.  I did really well with John leaving for full day, no tears and no sadness at all. 

We walked home from the bus stop (it is literally at the corner, two houses away), woke Grace up, got her dressed and got in the car to drop Luke off.  We talked with him about seeing his teachers and friends, it was all good.  In the room, he found his cubby, hung up his book bag and then he hung his name on the board.

And all was well.  Until it hit me.  Grace should be starting in the 3 year old room today.  If everything was normal (if she were a normally developing child), I would be dropping them both off at this school and leaving to go home with just Mark.  And all of the sudden I had to get out of there.  So I called to Mark that it was time to leave and just walked out.  I couldn't even talk to any of my friends in the parking lot.  I was okay by the time we got home and talked with my friend Judy.  But still, it was bothering me.  Then I got a call from the director of the school, to see if I was okay.  Apparently, Luke's teacher noticed I was upset and had the director call to tell me Luke was fine and make sure I was too.  And so I did what I normally do, I lied pretended everything was okay and blamed my being upset on John starting full day school and going to First Grade.  Since John went to this school and the director knows him, she bought it.

The rest of the day was easy.  I played with Grace, did some work around the house, went to pick up Luke, made lunches, got kids settled in their rooms, checked the clock to see when John would be home, did some work in the office, had a great phone conversation with my friend, made cookies for a back to school snack, put in a video for Luke, checked the clock to see it if was time to go to the bus stop, got Grace up from her nap, gave Grace a snack, played with Luke, checked the clock to see if it was time to get John, played with Grace and finally it was time to go to the bus stop and get John!

He had a great first day!  We talked for a bit about his day, he ate some cookies and told me he was glad to be home.  Me too baby, me too...


Gardenia said...

You'll be so glad you wrote all this down. Feelings and days like these you'll want to remember. You should be a proud momma. :)

Anna said...

Sending hugs to you Anne...sorry it sounds like its been a hard day.

Hope the kids all settle into their new routines ok and you are ok too.

That is a long day for John in year 1. Our Sarah is in year 1 and she is 9-3. He will sleep well at night I'm sure!

Take care,