Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, September 11, 2015

back to school...

First before I get to the pictures and updates, I want to acknowledge that it is 9/11.  John came home from school yesterday talking about the conversations they are having in his history class about the attacks.  And as he was sharing the stories with me, I teared up.  When he asked me why, I said 'Because I remember.  I know exactly where I was when I saw the second plane hit the tower.'  I will never forget.

 

I'm so glad that my post 9/11 children are learning the stories of the brave men and women who gave their lives to save others, of the regular people who went to work not knowing it was going to be their last day and of the people that rallied around coworkers to ensure their safety.  And I pray that it is only a history lesson for them, not something they live through and can't / don't want to forget.



The kids have been back in school for two week as of today and it has been an adjustment getting back into the swing of things.  We were all glad when school started but getting back into the practice of getting up early and doing homework is not fun.






This year we have a middle schooler.  John is in 6th grade and that means there are a LOT of changes for him at school.  He has a locker, which is cool but it comes with a lock that caused him (and every 6th grader everywhere) stress.  He has multiple teachers and classrooms to go to. He is no longer being told what to bring home for homework but having to depend on himself and his notes for that.  And he has two electives, that he selected with my approval.  He is taking cooking, which he loves and makes my heart happy and carving, which concerns me (there has already been two incidents where boys have cut themselves with their knives during carving class).

Luke is in third grade this year.  He was ready to go back and see all his friends.  He is not ready for the extra work that comes with being in 3rd grade but he loves the fact that they now get to play gaga ball during recess.  He is off to a great start with homework and assignments.

Grace is back to the same school which is a great thing for our girl.  She has the same teacher and we are super excited about that.  Grace is evidently excited too because I got the following email from her teacher this week:

Grace had such a great day!!  We had music first thing this morning and she just loves music!!  I was working with her right after lunch and she was imitating me counting 1, 2, 3 and 4 (in my off key sing- song voice)!!  Grace was handing toys back and forth with me, making eye contact and 
I said "Thank you" when she gave me a toy that I asked for and she replied "Welcome".  She also said "9".   I think she missed me just as much as I missed her this summer!!



I hope your school year is off to a great start!

Photobucket

No comments: