Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, October 17, 2014

day 17: knowing your personality type...


Welcome to my ongoing series of 31 days to more order.  To view the complete list of posts, click here.





Today's topic is about knowing your personality type.  Does that seem like a weird topic to put right in the middle of a series on order?  And more specifically, when I'm talking about managing your schedule?  Stay with me, because I think it fits.

I think that it's important to know what we enjoy doing and what our strengths are as we are evaluating whether or not to commit to something.  So how does knowing your personality type help you with this?  I think it helps us by allowing us to focus on what we are naturally inclined to do versus comparing ourselves to what others are doing.

I am an introvert.  Which is something that I didn't really come to fully understand about myself until I was in my 30s.  Just because I am an introvert does not mean that I am shy.  They are completely different things.  Although, I will admit to sometimes not being completely comfortable in social setting and having a fear of sitting next to people I don't know because I would have to talk to complete strangers.  It is one of the reasons I do not want to go on a cruise.  I can't imagine anything worse that being on a boat full of people I don't know and having to talk to them.  My husband thought I was crazy when I shared that with him.  He's an extrovert.

What is does mean is that while I enjoy being around people, I need to be alone in order to recharge.  I may enjoy being with people but if I got to choose whether I wanted to sit at home with a book in front of the fire or go to a party, the book would probably win every time.  I also process things internally, which is why I like to blog.  It allows me to be thoughtful and say what I need to say without talking to people.


I took the personality test found here.  I'm an INFJ, which according to the results is very rare.  It means I am an introvert (I), have diplomatic tendencies (NF) and a judging trait (J) (oops!).  So knowing these things to be true about myself, I don't take on roles that aren't suited to my personality.

For example, I love to teach but I do not like to do improv.  So one way I serve in our church is by teaching children.  I was asked to think about another role that would have me interacting with volunteers, doing skits and then providing feedback to adults on their portion of the program.  To be honest, nothing about that role seemed interesting to me.  But had I not understood myself and my personality type, I may have been tempted to take on a role like this to help out.  I get teased a lot by my friends who think it's crazy that I can present in front of hundreds of people but can't get up on stage and act out a skit.

It's important to know yourself and your limits, even if they seem weird to others.  Plus, it's totally fun to take a quiz like this!

So, I encourage you to take this personality test.  Once you have, call me.  No really, look at what you are involved in or with and make sure it's a good fit for  you.  Remember you are in charge of what you commit your time to, so be protective.  It's okay to say no.

I hope you have an awesome weekend!  Here in the mid-atlantic it's going to be sunny and mid-70's.  I can't wait to be outside with my kids.


Photobucket

No comments: