Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, April 2, 2012

BlogHer Life Well Lived: Getting Happy



How do you put yourself first?  How does taking time for yourself help make you happier?

This week's Life Well Lived (LWL) question is one that is so important to women and moms these days.  I know that my friend's and I have discussed this many times.  Just how do we put ourselves first, or make ourselves a priority, without feeling guilty.  This is certainly something I've struggled with ever since I became a mom.  

I do know that the answer looks different for everyone.  For me, I like to put myself first by carving out time to exercise.  More specifically, I like to run.  When I'm running on a regular basis, my mood and frame of mind seem better.  Taking the time to get my runs in each week, allows me to have more energy and focus to give my husband and kids.  At this stage in our family life I am able to get my workouts in while the kids are all in school.  It is such a blessing to be able to workout without taking any kids with me to the gym.

I also need time away from my daily responsibilities of being a wife, mother and manager of our family home.  I take this time is small chunks during the week.  Maybe it's meeting a friend for coffee (without kids) or taking a book to a local coffee shop and hanging out alone or going clothes shopping instead of food shopping.  Really, all I need is a small slice of time alone to recharge.  I also have monthly dinners out with girl friends.  Nothing recharges me more than time with friends.  The laughter and fellowship go a long way towards happiness.

How about you?  How do you put yourself first? 

To join in the discussion, go to the LWL site and join in the discussion.  While you are there, don't forget to enter this month's sweepstakes here.




Photobucket

No comments: