Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

future plans

When John was 5 years old and finishing his year of pre-Kindergarten the teacher asked each child what they wanted to be when they grew up.  John replied, 'an artist'.  I was surprised because he had never mentioned that at home.  So I asked him the same question.



Me: John, what do you want to be when you grow up?

John:  I want to be either an artist or someone who shoots people.

Me: {thinking: WHAT?!?, I'm raising a serial killer}  I take a deep breath and as calmly as I can ask 'what does it mean to be a person who shoots people?'

John: Oh you know an army guy or a super hero that shoots bad guys

Me:  {Thank you God.Thank you God.Thank you God.} I say something like, any of those would be great to be when you grow up.



The other day, he decided to trace this picture of Spiderman and create his own coloring sheet.  In order to see the picture better he held it up to the window and spent about a half an hour tracing this picture.  Then he photocopied it so he could keep his original. 

John still wants to be either an artist or a super hero.  Or maybe a professional baseball player (be still my heart, this would be so awesome for me since I love baseball).  Or maybe a youth pastor, so he could tell kids who don't know it, how much Jesus loves them (his exact words).  Or maybe just a dad (as in that would be his job).  Or maybe a business owner like his dad.  


I love how his future plans are consistent and yet changing and growing as he changes and grows.  One thing about John that will never change is his heart for other people.  This picture he was tracing was for his brother.  I was so touched to see him work so hard on something and then give it to his brother just because he thought Luke would like it and it would make Luke happy.

No comments: